Lets go through some interesting facts about the common root vegetable Carrot.
- The word carrot originated from the french word carotte which itself was derived form the Indian word ker which means horn.
- The original ancestor species of carrot were from Persia .Wild carrots were selectively bred over the centuries to form the carrot species that is being commonly cultivated today.
- Carrot seeds which dated up to 3000 BC were found in Germany.
- Carrots get its orange color primarily from β carotene
- Over 36 Million tonnes of carrot are produced worldwide for human consumption. per year
- China is the largest producer of carrots in the world and produces 45 % of the total world production.
- Holtville a city in California calls itself the "carrot capital of world".It holds an annual festival which is devoted entirely to carrot.
|Holtville Carrot Festival|
- The composition of carrot: 88% water, 4.7% sugar 2.6% protein, 1% ash, 0.2% fat,
- The cultivated carrots are divided into 2 types:Eastern Carrot and Western Carrots.
- The most devastating disease that affect carrot is alternaria (leaf blight).